The lengthy list of defendants that he has successfully litigated against includes some of the country’s largest corporations. Among them are ExxonMobil,Ernst & Young, General Motors/Hummer, Bell Atlantic, Bethlehem Steel, Chemlawn,FBI, Essroc Cement, Publishers Clearinghouse, and Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Weltchek recently won a historic $150,000,000 jury verdict in Baltimore County against ExxonMobil in a 6-month trial stemming from massive groundwater contamination. The jury verdict ranks as one of the largest in the Nation’s history. In 2000, Weltchek recovered $185,000,000 for his bankrupt client against accounting giant Ernst & Young, reportedly one of the largest settlements at the time.
Weltchek has built his reputation on landmark recoveries in medical malpractice cases as well. With over a dozen verdicts in excess of $5,000,000, Mr. Weltchek is highly sought after by attorneys and clients throughout the country to present their cases in court.
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS include:
- The first ever medical malpractice jury verdict in Charles County Maryland ($5,000,000), for the failure of physicians to recognize the severe abuse of a 6-year old child
- The first ever pharmaceutical litigation in the State of Maryland involving the drug Terbutaline
- A $10,250,000 jury verdict in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City against Carefirst and a private practicing physician for the negligent delivery of a child resulting in permanent brain injury;
- A $10,000,000 jury verdict against the University of Maryland Medical Center in a wrongful death case for the failure to diagnose a blood disorder leading to the death of a 19-year old man,
- A $10,000,000 jury verdict in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia against Bristol-Myers Squibb for defective silicone breast implants,
- A $7,100,000 jury verdict in the Circuit Court for Baltimore County for the failure to diagnose colon cancer resulting in the death of a 50 year old man.
- The largest medical malpractice recoveries (at the time of verdict) in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Charles County.
WELTCHEK MALLAHAN & WELTCHEK pledges to continue the maverick tradition that Robert J. Weltchek has pioneered in his 30-year legal career.